As a Diabetes Care and Education Specialist, you will provide Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) and Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) for patients with diabetes and other medical conditions in an outpatient setting.
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION: Rochester General Medical Group
DEPARTMENT: Unity Diabetes and Endocrinology
SCHEDULE: Day (Monday-Friday)
- Bachelor’s Degree, with major in Dietetics/Nutrition. MS in Nutrition, Education or Health Preferred OR Associates in Nursing.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist(RD) through Commission on Dietetic Registration AND Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist(CDN) through NYS Department of Education
- CDE required, or must be obtained within 2 years of hire
- Two to three years of diabetes specific experience with Certified Diabetes Educator credentials preferred.
- Knowledge of insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors helpful.
- Patient Care and Service. Assess patients to determine nutritional status and baseline knowledge regarding DSME and MNT in relation to their diabetes or other medical condition. Assist patient in developing realistic, measurable goals to manage their diabetes.
- Education. Conduct managing Diabetes classes utilizing various teaching methods and presenting up-to-date information. Innovates various other class curriculum, topics and settings. Conduct in office blood glucose and blood pressure testing on patients with diabetes and /or hypertension. May react to these levels in keeping with standard treatment policy.
- Documentation. Document interactions with patient in patient education record according to AADE or ADA recognition standards and HIPPA regulations.