Job Title: Lead, Systems Engineering
Job Code: CS20232505-101233
Job Location: Rochester, NY
L3Harris’ Communication Systems segment is currently seeking a Networking Chief Systems Architect (CSA) to join our team. This position will be based at our Rochester, NY facility and offers a hybrid and 9/80 work schedule.
The Lead Systems Networking Chief System Architect (CSA) will drive technical concept development, architecture, and design, providing support of networking systems for Tactical Communication Systems and will interact with both internal and external customers. The candidate will be required to provide key Networking expert technical support to Business Development teams, Product Development teams, and Program Execution teams. Strong communication and interpersonal skills coupled with the ability work within a large engineering team are required. The successful candidate must be able to describe complex networking system solutions to audiences of varying technical backgrounds and establish support/enthusiasm for a proposed solution.
This role requires strong leadership and teamwork skills. The candidate will be expected to lead technology initiatives beyond their own core technical specialty (Networking), relying on team members from other specific disciplines as required.
The candidate will work collaboratively across the engineering organization as well as with other Communications Systems sectors to focus on the development of sound Networking System solutions, adhering to all aspects of System Engineering process compliance including, but not limited to, process artifact review and approval and Risk Management/Analysis. The Lead Network Engineer will partner closely with teams in Engineering and across the business to ensure consistent strategy, direction, and alignment with the Segment Strategic Plan.
- Perform networking system design activities for Communication Products and Systems of Products.
- Serve as the primary technical point-of-contact for networked system solutions, relying on engineers from specific disciplines as required.
- Preparing and conducting technical briefings.
- Preparing for and participating in technical baseline reviews.
- The ability to assess and report technical project status, risks, and issues.
- Provide cross-functional technical and process leadership in the execution of multiple Internal Research and Program funded projects.
- Support product development technical activities, and system integration activities to assure designs are technically sound and meet system level requirements.
- Prepare systems requirements, design reviews and documentation per standard development processes.
- Collaborate with other design teams, test, manufacturing, product service, program and product management, and external customers to execute networking systems and deliver high-quality system solutions.
- Support front end business development activities including planning, customer visits, technical briefings, and proposal developments.
- The ability to draw on internal resources to generate accurate estimates for NRE and recurring costs.
- The ability to provide short-term technical support to internal and external customers when necessary.
- Engagement in project post-mortem reviews to assess future process improvements.
- The ability to complete assignments on a self-directed basis with only high-level direction provided at the start of tasking.
- Establish strategic working relationships with engineering project managers as well as functional teams and technical leads.
- Provide leadership in the development of technical staff through strategic hiring, mentoring, and training.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Expert knowledge of LAN routing/switching protocols and standards, with an emphasis on dynamic routing and multicast
- Expert with one or more common enterprise networking equipment brands, such as Cisco or Juniper
- Understanding of SIP telephony systems, such as CUCME or Asterisk
- Understanding of in POTS/circuit-switched telephony systems, and the ability to integrate them with SIP-based systems
- Strong understanding of WAN protocols, routing, firewalls, High Assurance Type 1 architecture as well as CSfC
- Experience deploying secure overlay networks, such as IPSEC, GRE, DMVPN, OVPN, etc.
- Strong familiarity with one or more wireless networking technologies, such as: HCLOS, MANET, mesh WiFi, LTE, SATCOM, etc.
- Experience with the deployment and basic administration of VMWare ESXi or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual environments
- Fluency with Unix-like operating systems
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience. In lieu of a degree, minimum of 13 years of prior related experience.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active US DoD Secret Clearance or Ability to obtain a US DoD Secret Clearance
- Ability to partner with stake holders and team leaders to identify needs and develop marketable Tactical Communication System solutions which provide customer value.
- Proven and effective communications skills, interpersonal skills and customer focus are a must.