Job no: 496083
SUNY Budget Title: Trades Specialist (Plumber Steamfitter)
Salary Level/Grade: SG012
Work type: Full time
Department: Facilities Utilities
Categories: Facilities Maintenance & Skilled Trade
Located in Western New York, State University of New York College at Brockport is a nationally recognized and accredited public institution with competitive state health insurance and retirement plan options. SUNY Brockport also includes Brockport Downtown and sponsors the Rochester Educational Opportunity Center (REOC), both located in Rochester, NY. We are an inclusive employee-oriented university. Be yourself and start your career here. Help us build a better Brockport!
SUNY Brockport is accepting applications for a Trades Specialist Plumber/Steamfitter. The Plumber/Steamfitter performs journey-level plumbing and steamfitting work. This entails installations, alterations and repairs of pipes, fittings and fixtures of heating control, domestic water and waste water systems accord to specifications and plumbing codes. May supervise others or act as a supervisor in the absence of his/her direct supervisor.
- Perform heavy labor including bending, standing, stooping for long periods, will work from ladders, scaffolding and high lift equipment including bucket trucks & scissor lifts to address overhead & below grade piping in trenches & confined spaces.
- Plan work procedures to make repairs & order replacement parts indicating quality, type, and other required materials. Must fully understands technical manuals, codes and diagrams in order to accomplish this task.
- Inspect and/or repair toilets, sinks, and showers with all associated accessories including flush valves, faucets and mixing valves, as well as supply lines from the main water source to the fixture, including backflow prevention devices, and all waste lines & fixtures out to and including the main sewer line.
- Install and maintain sump pumps, sewage pumps, circulating pumps, booster pumps, fire hydrants, gas lines, main water lines, sewer lines & water main valves, & maintenance of swimming pools.
- Supervise/train/instruct employees as needs dictate or in the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor 1.
- Basic computer skills for work orders and PM schedules.
- Available for scheduled overtime and be available to support 24/7 utility responsibilities.
- Knowledge or ability to obtain it to maintain all equipment related to this trade.
- Must exhibit welding and brazing skills in all positions and operate gas and electric welding equipment including MIG, TIG, and oxy/acetylene.
- Ability to work in a diverse college community in a team oriented environment.
- Must possess a valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Working knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing and steam fitting trade.
- Working knowledge of applicable plumbing code regulations.
- Working knowledge of the mathematics of the plumbing trade.
- Working knowledge of hot water and steam heating systems and control devices.
- Ability to plan, lay out and complete plumbing and steamfitting work.
- Ability to read, interpret and work from plans, drawings and specifications.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the plumbing and steamfitting trade.
- Ability to do moderately heavy lifting and to stand for prolonged periods of time.
Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects over fifty pounds. Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials, equipment and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment. Extensive standing and/or walking; occasional bending/stooping/squatting/crouching and pushing/pulling, repetitive movement of hand/wrist. Requires ability and adequate dexterity to operate tools and equipment required for job. May be subject to exposure to outside elements of working with hazardous materials and all types of weather conditions. Schedule change based on needs of the College, long hours to complete/preform scheduled or emergency functions/projects
Non-competitive: Four years of full-time experience in plumbing under a skilled tradesperson which would provide training equivalent to that given in a training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program, OR an equivalent combination of experience and training gained by completion of technical courses in plumbing at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services; OR successful completion of the two-year Trades Specialist (Plumber & Steamfitter) traineeship or a two-year plumbing training, apprenticeship, or equivalent program* such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship and Certificate Program.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
- Knowledge of cold and hot water distribution systems.
- Knowledge of venting and drainage, both gravity and forced.
- Knowledge of sprinkler, fire pumps and other life safety equipment.
- Must be able to obtain Supervisor Certification for asbestos removal.
- NYS RPZ license.
- Familiarity with on-campus department locations and utilities systems.
40 hrs/week M-F 3:00 - 11:30 pm, First 6 mo. training hrs. M-F, 7:00 am -3:30 pm
Salary, Appointment, and Benefits:
$44,354. Permanent. May be benefits eligible; more information at Careers@Brockport. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (one being a current supervisor) at jobs.hr.brockport.edu by January 28, 2022.
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Diversity Statement:
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.