Job Title: Sr Associate Cable Engineer
Job Code: CS20220512-94245
Job Location: Rochester, NY
As a member of the Hardware Engineering team, the candidate will be responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of custom connector and cable designs to be used internal and external to tacticle military and aerospace equipment. In addition, the candidate may be responsible to lead and mentor entry level individuals and teams across these various initiatives. Technical skills will be applied to develop robust overall solutions for use in harsh environments. In this dynamic and fast-paced environment, the candidate will be exposed to all aspects of the product development cycle which include but are not limited to; concept design, prototype/discovery testing, EVM, PVM, supply chain and manufacturing activities. Products using the specific cables and connectors are typically designed and tested to MIL-STD-810 environmental standards therefore experience and/or exposure in designing for military applications is preferred but not required. Working with peers and cross-functional team members, the candidate will help provide world-class cable solutions to our customers through quality performance in the Essential Functions that follow.
- Provide Engineering support for cable designs and documents for new product development activities and existing production cables.
- Provide Engineering support for custom connector and cable developments working with other Engineers, Supply Chain/Procurement and external suppliers.
- Provide timely responses to supplier support requests and inquiries from the Quality organization to keep the production pipeline flowing.
- Work with Electrical and Mechancial Engineers and Designers on resolution of complex cable issues and custom connector developments.
- Translate product requirements into a viable specification and test plan specific to the supporting cables and connectors for harsh environments.
- Support vendors in execution of verification testing as defined by the product requirements and drawing.
- Conduct design analysis and testing, both structural and thermal, to prove design will meet customer requirements.
- Generate and/or process engineering change orders (ECO’s) as required.
- Work directly with Engineers and Designers on CAD models and cable/connector documentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 6 years of prior related experience.
- Graduate Degree or equivalent with 0 to 2 years of prior related experience.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Defense/Military/Aerospace cable design experience
- Hands-on Root-Cause Troubleshooting Experience
- Mentoring of other engineers and designers on design details.
- Ability to travel occasionally, <10%, to customer and vendor sites
- Experience in complex cable designs, wire bundles, overmolding, shielding, and general cable fabrication.
- Experience in the use of 3D CAD (preferably PTC Creo) and 2D CAD (AutoCAD).
- Experience understanding and allocating system level requirements to applicable cable needs for military hardware deliverables and support functions.
- Experience with creating and supporting process documentation for cables and connectors.