Job no: 496208
SUNY Budget Title: Medical Assistant
Salary Level/Grade: SG008
Work type: Full time
Location: Brockport, NY
Department: Student Health Center
Categories: Administrative; Secretarial; Clerical, Healthcare & Mental Health Counseling
Located in Western New York, State University of New York College at Brockport is a nationally recognized and accredited public institution with competitive state health insurance and retirement plan options. SUNY Brockport also includes Brockport Downtown and sponsors the Rochester Educational Opportunity Center (REOC), both located in Rochester, NY. We are an inclusive employee-oriented university. Be yourself and start your career here. Help us build a better Brockport!
The Medical Assistant (MA) provides primarily clerical and may provide clinical and laboratory support for students seeking care in the Hazen Center for Integrated Care Counseling and Health clinics. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service to students, parents, campus community members and constituents. This includes in-person interaction, or via phone and electronic communication, within the framework of HIPAA and campus policy.
- Answer Health and Counseling Center phones in a professional manner and route calls to appropriate personnel by identifying nature and urgency of student’s call as well as manage phone messaging system.
- Manage a clinical schedule for approximately 15-20 providers via the practice management system for both the Health and Counseling Centers.
- Ability to prioritize appointments based on diagnosis, urgency while maximizing the schedule to meet student and clinic needs.
- Respond to patient inquiries regarding scheduling, billing and/or testing. Refers to professional staff as needed.
- Send reminder calls, texts and/or emails to minimize no-shows.
- Greet health and counseling patients and provides any needed guidance, monitors patient flow, schedules appointments, provides necessary patient visit instruction and manages appointment changes.
- Verify patient identity and demographics including contact number.
- Verify and update insurance information in EHR (Electronic Health Records).
- Obtain various patient consents as needed.
- Record accurate immunization history into the electronic medical record and NYSIS and have an understanding of the systems.
- Prepare room for appropriate visits following clinic procedures.
- Assist with clinic flow by rooming patients, obtain and record patient information such as weight, height, blood pressure, and vital signs. Performs routine lab techniques such as dipstick urines, and other additional screen as required.
- Assist in the lab and at other mass on-campus events needing medical support.
- Prepare and process laboratory requests.
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program of one year in duration; OR
Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program which is less than one year in duration and post Medical Assistant Program experience in a clinical/health care setting that together equals at least one year; OR
License, limited permit, or eligibility for a limited permit to practice as a Practical Nurse in New York State, or Licensed Practical Nurse certification.
For more information regarding this position, go to: Department of Civil Service Medical Assistant Exam Announcement
40 hrs/week - Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Salary and Benefits:
$35,528 May be benefits eligible; more information at Careers@Brockport. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (one being a current supervisor) at jobs.hr.brockport.edu .
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Diversity Statement:
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College’s commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship and service leading to student success.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.