Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Patient Self-Pay Services
Under the direction of the Manager, Patient Services and with latitude for independent judgment, the Operations Manager, Patient Services, is responsible for planning, organizing, and administering the day to day operations, anticipating and resolving complex problems, managing phone lines and equipment, and serving as a member of the Patient Services Team. The Patient Services Team resolves patient inquiries resulting from medical services provided by the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC): Strong Memorial Hospital & University of Rochester Medical Facility Group (URMFG), and Highland Hospital (HH). This position represents the Patient Services Management team and URMC/HH by adhering and upholding the URMC/HH Mission, Vision, and Values, and Service Performance Standards to provide the highest quality service to our patients and staff.
In partnership with the Manager, Patient Services, the Operations Manager, Patient Services is accountable for:
- Fostering a culture of respect, integrity, and accountability.
- Monitors staff performance, maximizes employee productivity by providing weekly coaching and effective feedback via scorecards and stats.
- Patient Services Contact Center’s service metrics, quality assurance program, annual work plan, objectives, and operational strategies that ensure the contact center demand for services are met and quality standards are consistently met or exceeded.
- Monitors and ensures the efficiency and effectiveness of the operations, which include evaluating work flows, procedures, policies and staffing needs, and adhere to external, corporate and customer/provider standards for quality, timeliness and accuracy.
- Motivates and encourages staff through open communication, establishes channels to facilitate feedback, and builds loyalty and increases morale by implementing employee recognition programs.
- Oversees training and champions process improvement initiatives and workflow standardization.
- Resolves escalated issues.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of and adhering to policies and procedures of the University of Rochester Medical Faculty Group, Patient Financial Services and the Fair Credit Debt Collection Practices Act.
The ability to provide consistent leadership and maintain interpersonal relations with the team, physician faculty, providers, and their staff is essential. This position requires flexibility and the ability to function in an evolving and ever-changing environment. The Operations Manager, Patient Services serves as a liaison between the department and other hospital/professional departments in the areas of customer service and satisfaction.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Motivates, supports, and inspires confidence. Gains the respect and confidence of staff.
- Models desired behaviors, supports and reinforces departmental and University decisions.
- Fosters a culture of respect, trust, empowerment, ownership.
- Develops genuine and supportive relationships with staff that heighten team morale, increase employee and customer satisfaction, and drives operational excellence.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Patient Services, develops and executes the Patient Services Team annual work plan, goals, objectives, priorities, and operating policies.
- Acts as authority and ensures the seamless operations of the contact center during the absence of the Manager, Patient Services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Performance Management & Quality Assurance
- Establishes metrics, drives excellence, underscores key performance indicators i.e.: quality, productivity, service and recovered calls to staff via weekly scorecards. Ensure staff understand how their performance impacts the vision and mission of the University’s goals in providing “Medicine of the Highest Order”. Measures internal controls to ensure the highest level of service is delivered.
- Coaches staff to meet and exceed individual and team goals.
- Develops and continually improves the Patient Services quality assurance program.
- Cultivates employee engagement and regularly solicits feedback from employees.
- Hold staff monthly one on one and bi-weekly team meetings.
- Conducts periodic performance reviews identifying holistic review. Accurately assesses employees’ strengths and development opportunities. Provides timely and specific feedback to improve performance. When necessary, initiates action to assure retraining, discipline, and or improvement plans are completed.
- In partnership with staff, makes career growth and succession planning a priority.
- Performs timely completion and delivery of introductory and annual performance appraisals.
- In conjunction with Manager, Patient Services, makes wage & salary recommendations.
- Maintains time records, approves time off, and monitors attendance to assure proper staff coverage.
- Champion rewards and recognition
- Drive employee engagement and morale by inspiring staff through reward and recognition programs.
Work Force Management
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and administering the day to day operations of the Patient Services Team. Monitors key reports and metrics on a daily basis. Understands the data presented and promptly and independently and takes corrective action.
- Uses information received in analysis for continual process improvement, training opportunities, system upgrades/purchases, etc.
- Ensures department mission and goals are not compromised:
- Monitors real-time call analytics to ensure service levels and quality standards are consistently met or exceeded.
- Assess trends and makes necessary adjustments to staffing.
- Oversees off-call work distributed to staff.
- Ensures timely completion of outbound calls, emails, staff worklists, daily/weekly projects, and all other work assignments for timely resolution.
- Compiles call performance statistics for each time interval (half hourly, daily weekly, monthly reports) and distributes to the team.
- Ensures phone system is in working order at all times, providing up to the minute monitoring of activity of the system’s effectiveness by half hour, day, and week or as needed.
- Manages system testing process to ensure center is fully operational at all times.
Functional/Technical and Customer Service Escalation Expert
- Serves as an escalation point for high impact or complex issues:
- Acts as liaison between functional area/department and other Hospital and Faculty Practice departments to resolve complex problems or for significant or sensitive service recovery situations.
- Handles, tracks and resolves escalated calls and complaints from Senior Leadership, Patient Relations, Better Business Bureau, Attorney General, etc.
- Determines root cause of issue(s) and makes recommendations to avoid repeat issues.
- Collaborates with Manager on responses.
- Tracks and follows through to resolution.
- Coaches and incorporates opportunities into future training.
Training and Process Improvement
- Oversees the Patient Services training curriculum development:
- Ensures programs support departmental mission, vision, values, goals and foster employee growth and patient retention.
- Coordinates and ensures the highest delivery of customer service, billing, and in-service training for all staff, existing and new hires is obtained.
- Initiates and oversees operational policies and procedures development and implementation. Proactively identifies and addresses efficiency improvement opportunities.
- Anticipates potential problems and future trends related to functional objectives, including changes to business processes, operational standards or support offerings.
- Collaborative with staff, teams, and other departments to resolve issues.
- In conjunction with Manager, Patient Services, lead Human Resources related activities including but not limited to; recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, and training of new hires.
- Consistently demonstrate high standards of integrity by supporting the URMC’s values, and adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct, and ICARE Philosophy of Care. Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- 5 years progressive healthcare and or contact center management experience and Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration, or related discipline
- Equivalent combination of education and experience, two of which are in a defined leadership role.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams and driving staff performance.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communications skills:
- Empathetic and active listener.
- Diplomatic communicator demonstrated by the ability to consistently present and express oral and written information in an organized, understandable, complete, and concise manner.
- Proven ability to collaborate and effectively work with all members within a diversified team, including the Senior Leadership.
- Proven ability to excel in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Adept at conflict management, negotiation, and mediation. Demonstrated success in problem solving and producing win-win outcomes.
- Exceptional ability to visually present and communicate data, analyses, and findings.
- Possess sound business acumen, strategic thinking, analytical, organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-pace and ever-changing environment, manage numerous shifting priorities, deadlines and resources, including large scale projects, with a high level of autonomy and independence.
- Healthcare, Medical Billing or Collections experience.
- Proficiency in contact center workforce management software and/or solutions.
- Experience with Call Center monitoring software.
- Knowledge of Electronic Medical Record (EMR)/Revenue Cycle Software applications.
- Adept in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the creation and management of data and reports.
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus
- Active Listening and Empathy
- Excellent Written/Oral Communication
- Strategic Thinking
- Teamwork Orientation
- Planning/Organizational Skills
- Presentations Skills
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled