Assistant Director of Business Intelligence, Reporting & Analytics
Advancement Services and Administration
The Advancement Systems, Data, and Analytics Team make transformation possible for the RIT community by effectively partnering with and empowering advancement stakeholders at the crossroads of strategy, systems, data, and analytics. As an essential member of this team, the Assistant Director will lead and manage the development, delivery, and support of all reports, business intelligence tools, and incoming data requests.
The Assistant Director must be able to effectively apply interpersonal, programming, and data skills to meet the needs of our diverse stakeholders. The ability to understand their perspectives, evolve our reporting infrastructure, and deliver impactful self-service capabilities that empower our end users are hallmarks of a successful candidate.
The Assistant Director will be responsible for understanding trends in reporting, data delivery to end users, and Advancement industries as they apply to RIT’s strategic roadmap, and will conduct regular benchmarking discussions with other colleges and universities to identify and implement best practices.
- Manage an analyst on your team, which includes the establishment of goals, and priorities, monitoring projects and activity, and mentoring and growing the person and role.
- Build relationships with UA managers and program teams to understand their key challenges and needs, and then collaborate with relevant team members to design and deliver solutions.
- Lead and manage all reporting and BI capabilities. This covers development and support of programming procedures, and the creation, delivery, and automation of reports and dashboards.
- Manage and service incoming ad-hoc requests, using project management tools to track tasks and collaborators. Provide clear communication and proactively follow up as required.
- Ensure quality and accuracy of results through interaction with end users for feedback. Strive for continuous improvement and improved client satisfaction.
- Collaborate with team members to identify leverage points and promote standardization, scale, and automation.
- Work closely with the Director of Business Intelligence, Reporting, and Analytics to develop reporting strategy and manage projects through a coordinated lifecycle from analysis to implementation.
- Create, review, and approve material for training end users in matters related to reports, their usage and interpretation, and skills to promote greater self-reliance as necessary. Provide training as needed.
- Own and maintain report and dashboard catalog. Produce appropriate analytics on report usage.
- Lead the preparation and documentation of all reports and associated assets as part of a strategic platform migration playbook for the donor management system.
- Live our values, embrace diverse perspectives, and nurture the RIT community to remain a great place to work for all.
- Minimum of five years in a reporting and data-centric role involving creation and ownership of a full reporting life cycle, ideally in a fundraising environment.
- Minimum of three years in a front-office role using relational DBMS (ideally Oracle) and Microsoft tools.
- Bachelor's degree in management information systems, data analytics, business administration, computer science, research, or other related fields – or equivalent experience.
- Advanced degree and/or track record of relevant CE credits preferred.
- Demonstrated skill and knowledge of, or ability to learn quickly, the technology suite used by the Division of University Advancement as well as the internal workings of the University.
- Programming using SQL to create structured reports and data extracts.
- Intermediate-level understanding of SQL relating to tables, views, functions, stored procedures, etc.
- Programming using Excel and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to create effective and automated reports.
- Advanced level understanding of data tables, pivots, and worksheet functions in Excel
- Dashboard creation and publishing using PowerBI, Tableau, or similar tools.
- Experience in an advancement, fundraising, or non-profit setting preferred.
- Working knowledge of Ellucian Advance, Blackbaud, or similar platforms.
- Experience with Agile project management.
- Adept at switching between big-picture thinking and in-depth analysis, with the ability to comprehend multiple perspectives and their interrelation.
- Must possess a strong commitment to personal and professional development and the ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment.
- Ability to prioritize and follow through on multiple requests from a diverse group of requestors, with an emphasis on a high-level quality of customer service.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills characterized by the ability to listen, speak and write effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage, mentor, and lead employees and student workers.
- Experience in defining and providing user training and/or teaching; video instruction is a plus.
- Maintain a high level of security and ethical standards when dealing with confidential information.
Required Minimum Education Level
Bachelors or Equivalent Experience
Hybrid — Remote/On-campus
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References
What do we believe at RIT?
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
At Rochester Institute of Technology, our mission is to shape the future and improve the world through creativity and innovation. As an engaged, intellectually curious, diverse and socially conscious community, we leverage the power of technology, the arts, and design for the greater good. In the Division of University Advancement at RIT, we are dedicated to advancing this mission by fostering deep and meaningful connections with alumni, parents, friends, and organizations with the goal of increasing the resources available to the university through greater volunteer engagement and increased philanthropic support. As Advancement professionals, we seek support from a variety of investors to ensure a life-transforming RIT education is accessible to the talented students who seek to join us.
RIT’s Division of University Advancement (UADV) is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe the power of diversity enriches all of us by exposing us to a range of ways to understand and engage with each other, our constituents and our broader communities. We are dedicated to developing and implementing best practices to promote even greater diversity through our employee retention and hiring, accessibility, marketing materials, constituent engagement and in pursuit of our philanthropic goals.
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.