Full Time 40 hours Grade 032 UF&S RC Operations
M-F 7 AM-3:30 PM; POSS WKNDS/HOLS
Lays bricks, blocks, tile, stone and concrete and applies plaster and tears down as required so as to alter and repair interior and exterior masonry of buildings and grounds. Applies, removes or repairs pipe covering and insulation for hot or cold fluid or steam lines or for vessels.
SUPERVISION AND DIRECTION RECEIVED:
Receives directions from Working Leader and indirectly from Supervisor, and/or University Administrator.
SUPERVISION AND DIRECTION EXERCISED:
May direct activities of Mason "B" or helpers as assigned
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Air hammers, tampers, scaffolds, portable electric tools, grit blast equipment, mason tools and other equipment of equal or lessor complexity.
- Lays bricks, blocks, tiles and stonework and repairs concrete floors, walls, and other masonry objects.
- Tears down or breaks away existing structures and removes masonry walls or objects.
- Mixes and prepares masonry materials such as plaster, concrete, mastics, epoxys, 2-part caulking and the like and constructs or assembles forms required in the work.
- Lays floors using materials such as terrazzo, asphalt or wooden blocks, applies plaster to walls, tapes and patches dry wall sections and applies or repairs insulation on hot or cold fluid lines or vessels.
- Removes vines from buildings, points and caulks joints, gritblasts surfaces, applies waterproofing to masonry with spray equipment.
- Operates equipment required for trade such as masonry saws, air hammers, tampers and air compressors and erects fixed tubular or swing scaffolds as needed for high work on interior or exterior of buildings.
- Performs other operations requiring comparable skill and responsibility as directed.
- Must operate all mechanical equipment in a safe, workmanlike, trouble-free manner.
- High school or trade school education or equivalent plus 3-5 years broad experience which may include formal apprenticeship training. Able to read and write English, make mathematical calculations, understand and use blue prints.
- Knowledge of applicable safety codes and regulations. Required to use, wear and utilize safety equipment specified or provided by the University in the manner prescribed. Required to observe and follow safe work practices at all times as specified by OSHA or other regulations.
- Depending upon functional area, may require a valid motor vehicle operator's license and the ability to operate vehicles in a trouble-free, safe and workmanlike manner.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours when assigned.
- Must have working telephone so he/she can be reached at irregular hours for call-in duty. Must keep current phone number and address on file with Trade Supervisor and Department office. Mechanic must be normally available at this phone number and address.
With sufficient training and experience may lead to working leader or other supervisory position.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
INTERNATIONAL UNION OF OPERATING ENGINEERS: How to bid for Transfer/Promotion: Employees represented by IUOE must electronically bid in HRMS within the five-day posting period each time they wish to be considered for a job opportunity. On-time qualified bidders for IUOE positions must be considered prior to any other candidates.