This position is hybrid and remote eligible for up to 40% of the time. The office location for this position is at ESL Corporate Headquarters in Rochester, NY. Hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Must be flexible to meet current and future business needs.
Belong to something bigger.
At ESL, we have a greater purpose and so do you. It’s more than a job, it’s your unique journey.
Your Journey Begins Here
ESL has an immediate opportunity to join our purpose driven, inclusive and people oriented organization as an Associate General Counsel. This position is a pro-active business partner in the organization focused on strategic decision making and working with clients in a collaborative culture. The role is accountable for providing primary legal guidance to the Credit Union and its subsidiaries in a consistent, accurate and timely manner. The role must be or become familiar with the products and services offered by the Credit Union and its subsidiaries and the requirements applicable to a financial institution, and includes anticipating operational issues that may arise as a result of new legislation or modifications to existing legislation. This role is responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts on behalf of the organization.
ESL offers a competitive benefits package which focuses on providing a work life balance for all employees. Our benefits include robust options such as our wellness program, family assistance plan, 401k with match, paid volunteer time and Learning & Development training among many others.
What You Bring With You:
- Juris Doctor degree required
- Admission to practice law in New York and member in good standing with the New York Bar
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience
- Demonstrated alignment with ESL’s Core Values, mission, vision, and Purpose to help our community thrive and prosper
- Capacity and willingness to take on multiple responsibilities
- Strong business judgment and strategic thinking
- Ability and willingness to manage multiple tasks, exercise good business judgment and work accurately and timely under pressure.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience or related training in the financial services industry
- Experience in a corporate legal department or as an in-house legal generalist
- Experience with and understanding of legal and regulatory requirements relating to financial services
- Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively with partners, colleagues, clients, and peers
- Demonstrated commitment to contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
We’re committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. ESL recognizes the importance of a culture that embraces diversity and values individual differences. We are committed to cultivating a diverse workforce at all levels that mirrors the communities we serve. We welcome applications from people with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We strive to create an inclusive, respectful and equitable environment, which makes ESL a great place to work!