Sr. Manager, Software Engineering Management - Rochester
Job Code: SAS20212209-69794
Job Location: Rochester, NY
The Senior Engineering Manager, Software Engineering, leads and directs experienced professionals and lower level supervisors of a group of software engineers, developing complex engineering solutions. Must possess extensive knowledge of Software Engineering and associated principles of software development and/or test. Provides technical guidance and leadership to subordinate engineers. Maintains proper staffing levels and expertise to meet business objectives. Develops and conducts programs in accordance with company's policies, priorities and budget constraints. Manages and/or develops budgets for assigned function or department, including operating requirements, training, equipment and material purchases. Provides technical oversight and assistance to other departments as required.
Makes significant improvements in processes, systems, or products. Manages the implementation of strategy and establishes short-term operational plans with measurable contribution to function/area results. Accomplishes results through subordinate supervisors or exempt specialist employees. Subject to approval, modifies the organizational structure of centralized functions and units. Meets functional requirements of staffing, training, talent development, engagement, retention and overall management of the department. Responsible for all projects assigned to the organizational unit. Acts as an advisor to subordinate supervisors or staff members to meet schedules or resolve technical or operational problems.
Exerts influence in the development of overall objectives and short-term operational plans of the organization. Frequent contacts with equivalent level managers and customer representatives concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, contractual clarifications, talent development and retention. Works to influence others to accept job function’s views or practices and agree/accept new concepts, practices, and approaches. Requires ability to communicate with executive leadership regarding matters of significant importance to the organization.
Works with Business Development, Program Management, and Business Leadership to provide input for Strategic Planning, Research and Development Planning, and Inter-Corporation Resource Sharing. Stays abreast of state-of-the-art technology advancement; identifying disruptive or emerging technology trends for inclusion in IRAD, innovation, or pursuit/program ECP opportunities product improvements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and a minimum of 12 years of experience leading/managing technical programs, OR, 10 years with a master’s degree
- Management and leadership background with experience leading full software lifecycle development, including: executing performance appraisals, managing staffing allocation, software process leadership (CMMI), and career development.
- Experience with Waterfall, Agile, TDD, and Model Based development
- Experience with DevOps and a proven track record building a CI/CD pipeline
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and sustain measurable results
- Experience as a SW lead on a program
- 8+ years of experience in software development (C/C++ & RTOS experience is a plus)
- Self-starter; problem solver; customer focused
- Ability to clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas, including strong executive communication and presentation skills
- High expectations for continuous improvement and sustained excellence for self and team members – Lean Six Sigma, data-based decision making, SW performance metrics.
- Control Account Management (CAM) experience
- Certified SCRUM Master, Product Owner, or Coach