Associate Director, NYSP2I
Golisano Institute for Sustainability
CIMS Pollution Prevention Institute
The NYS Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability at Rochester Institute of Technology is seeking an Associate Director who will help define the agenda and build key focus areas of the Institute. Reporting to the NYSP2I director and working with the NYSP2I team, the incumbent will lead the Institute’s development of innovative solutions to New York State’s current and future environmental challenges in targeted areas, including greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, clean production/green chemistry, sustainable food systems, Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) support and planning, resource efficiency and others. This position will lead a team of subject matter experts to address high impact issues related to the environmental footprint of New York State and beyond. Responsibilities will include mentoring staff, ideating solutions, conducting research and development, as well as situational analysis to inform government policy, and seeking funding from state and federal entities to support these efforts.
- Stay well-informed of environmental issues in NYS, the U.S., and globally; provide relevant and timely information to internal staff and external stakeholders; stay up-to-date on emerging and cutting edge research in the field.
- In consultation with the NYS sponsor and the NYSP2I director, lead the technical direction of the Institute based on an assessment of current and expected environmental challenges and their relative impact; Oversee the focus area specialist team.
- Lead and conduct primary and secondary research projects with a team of subject matter experts, and potentially the Institute’s university partners, in support of the NYSP2I annual work plan and NYSDEC goals. Responsible for supervising/managing a team of researchers, which includes hiring, performance management, disciplinary actions, changes in pay, training, and delegation of work.
- Develop project concepts in response to environmental challenges and write grant proposals seeking project funding.
- Oversee the Institute’s technical research portfolio; develop and execute a strategic plan and impact goals for the Institute’s technical program to address NYS environmental priorities; develop annual workplan toward the strategic goals; track progress.
- Develop organizational capacity in the Institute’s technical focus areas (e.g. GHG emissions, EGS, clean production/green chemistry, sustainable food systems); mentor staff; write, publish, and present peer reviewed research papers, reports, and white papers. Represent the Institute at conferences and events.
- Collaborate with the larger Golisano Institute for Sustainability organization on special projects and initiatives.
The required minimum education is a Master's degree in a technical field of study (i..e. engineering, chemistry, environmental studies, sustainability, or related fields)
- A minimum of 10 years related work experience is required.
- Must have a minimum of five yearss of experience in a technical P2, green chemistry, environmental science or sustainability position, in addition to experience in a leadership role with supervisory responsibility.
- Must have experience conducting and managing R&D projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering, science, green chemistry, environmental science or sustainability; must have peer-reviewed publications and have experience conducting applied or user-inspired research projects
- Experience with proposal development and securing grant funding
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders
- Knowledge and ability to lead; think creatively; proactively adapt to changing environment; act decisively, and inspire and empower others
- Project/program management skills
- Effective public speaking skills
- Ph.D. in a technical field of study strongly preferred (i.e. engineering, chemistry, environmental studies, sustainability, or related fields)
- Knowledge of circular economy concepts, including sustainable design and end-of-life processes
- Experience working with state and/or federal funding and contracting processes preferred.
Required Minimum Education Level
Henrietta Campus — 100%
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume
What do we believe at RIT?
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
The New York State Pollution Prevention Institute is part of the Golisano Institute for Sustainability, an applied research organization at RIT whose mission is to undertake world-class education and research programs in sustainability with major foci on sustainable production, sustainable energy, sustainable mobility and ecologically friendly information technology systems. NYSP2I is staffed by a passionate team of scientists, engineers, and administrative personnel who collaborate with companies in New York State to provide technical assistance and solutions to complex sustainability problems. More information on the Institute can be found at https://www.rit.edu/affiliate/nysp2i/
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to email@example.com. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Commitment To Safety
COVID 19: Please familiarize yourself with the requirements of the RIT Safety Plan. Information on the responsibility for each employee can be found on the RIT Ready website. As per the RIT Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all university employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have an approved medical/disability or religious accommodation