Overview: The Manager Engineer, reporting to the Senior Director Engineering, will coordinate and manage all aspects of engineering projects including internal resources, project engineers, 3rd party contractors and vendors assigned to capital projects. Ensures that all engineering projects are completed in a timely manner, with a solid startup plan to meet the scope, schedule, budget and safety expectations for effective execution. This role is a liaison between Sr. Director and commercialization project team in managing the day to day tasks and escalations. This role will be at our Williamson, NY Location.
Accountabilities and Deliverables
- Day to day management of the project engineering function, and team members, to assist with de-bottlenecking and timely resolution of issues as they arise. Assign projects and tasks to team members, with constant reevaluation against changing business priorities
- Coordinate the preparation and administration of all capital projects, including multiple assigned to the individual at one time. This includes preliminary engineering, detail engineering, engineering cost analysis, planning project schedule and initiates project contracts, bid proposals, manages capital budget, contractor activity and safety; working across the organization to ensure impact is identified and communicated.
- For each project, review and analyze packaging, processing lines and utilities within the facility including describing, illustrating, and evaluating systems, identifying limiting components and determining cost and benefits of any change.
- Support the design, selection and qualifications of process equipment, ensuring safe, effective and in compliance installation within industry standards.
- Lead major investigations into equipment and/or process failures, develop and implement corrective action plan and performance improvements, pulling in resources as needed.
- Act as an SME and provide technical oversight and resolution of issues arising during the project cycle for assigned projects, and team members’ projects.
- Create detailed plans for vertical start up, FAT – factory acceptance test (FAT) and commissioning, qualification and verification (CQV) and stage gate process.
- Advise maintenance and operations personnel on proper operation of systems and serves as a source of expertise in the area of engineering and equipment maintenance for problem analysis and troubleshooting.
- Actively and continuously work with leadership and plant management to identify, evaluate, and assess opportunities for improving production efficiency and quality from an engineering perspective
- Through use of standard project management methodologies (MS Project Gantt charts, stage gates), maintain detailed records of project performance. Report and present to leadership as requested.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal codes and regulations related to design, construction, and equipment modification as well as regulations for facility and equipment maintenance. Provide technical expertise during audits.
- Be a strong team player and work in cross functional team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS Degree in engineering in Chemical and/or Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of ten (10) years of engineering experiencing designing and executing on manufacturing equipment/capital projects
- A minimum of five (5) year of experience leading a team, directly (supervisor or lead)
- A minimum of five (5) year of experience in CPG, Food, and/or Beverage manufacturing equipment resulting in a very strong and broad depth of knowledge in process, mechanical, facilities (boilers, chillers, utilities) and packaging equipment.
- To include: liquefiers, heat exchangers, surface scrapers, kettles, CIP systems, mixers and blenders, and conveyor systems
- Vertical startup, Brown Field/ Green Field experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of food and beverage manufacturing processes (continuous and batch), heat exchanger design and be able to do material and mass flow calculations
- Understanding of electrical power distribution, industrial controls and plant mechanical systems including: boilers, compressors, piping and ventilation
- PLC and packaging equipment knowledge a plus
- Some experience with regulatory authorities (OSHA, EPA, USDA)
- Understanding and experience of applicable NFPA, NEC, ANSI and GMP standards
- Ability to deal with and manage conflict while building successful business relationships across a range of stakeholder groups both internal and external to the organization
- Ability to build and maintain great working relationships with all regulatory bodies, outside suppliers and contractors
- Ability to multi-task and have excellent time management
- Read and process information with high degree of accuracy
- Interpret engineering system anomalies and irregularities and identify appropriate solutions
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with employees verbally and in writing
- Work effectively in general business environment with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project, familiarity with common CAD software (AutoCAD, Solidworks).